One Heart One Wheel is a group organised by Jerry Stokes, raising money for the British Heart Foundation through unicycling events.
During the last week of August 2010, eight unicyclists, including myself, rode the 140 mile Coast to Coast route from Whitehaven in Cumbria to Roker Pier in Sunderland. 35 miles per day would be almost trivial on a bike, but that’s 4 or 5 hours in the saddle on a unicycle. For comparison, my normal commuting week is less than 30 miles in the saddle, even if you include the unicycle hockey practice. To get myself up to the required level of fitness, I increased my commuting distance to about 15 miles per day, and I did a 30-40 mile ride every weekend. Your sponsorship will go to a very deserving cause.
- Day 0 – the long journal to the start
- Day 1 – a wet start to a great week
- Day 2 – a hard slog on a noisy wheel
- Day 3 – freewheeling on the big hills
- Day 4 – high spirits on the final descent
- All my blog posts about the ride, including the training
- GPS trails of some of my more interesting rides, including the actual Coast to Coast ride.
- My fundraising page
- Buy a C2C shirt – profits go to the BHF
- The Facebook group
The rest of the C2C unicycle riders are: